Mt Isa to Alice Via Plenty Highway Update FYI

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would let anyone who was interested, or wanting to cross the Plenty Highway soon, that we have just completed it today with a Toyota Hilux towing a Windsor Rapid Van.

We went from Mt Isa then onto Urandangi, Tobermorey Station (which is closed to the public and no longer sells fuel or accommodation), Jervois Station, Gemtrees and then onto Alice.

The road itself was pretty good and averaged about 70kms/h to Jervois Station. From Jervois Station the 1st 100kms was fine and then we hit about 10kms of road works but the road was great and then after that we had about 30kms of pretty bad corregations but we drove at about 20 or 30kms/h and survived fine. Well apart from a couple of exploding coke cans and a jar of mustard coming undone in the fridge lol

Take care on your trips and I hope this information is useful to someone soon.

Regards
Mandy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rod - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 10:56

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 10:56
Were the roadworks working towards the direction of the corrugated section ? If I pass through in about a fortnight's time, might the corrugated section be shorter then due to grading etc ?
AnswerID: 420874

Follow Up By: Graeme & Mandy - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 09:54

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 09:54
I believe they were working towards that direction but remember it is a government run project so who knows how far they will get in 2 weeks lol We saw plenty of them laying back in their machines, or having coffee or just having a chat lol
FollowupID: 691441

Reply By: Member - John D, Wandong (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 12:40

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 12:40
Thanks Mandy, we will be taking the Plenty Hwy from Boulia to Gremtree on the 14th July, stopping overnight at Jervois, this is the exact kind of report we were hoping to get before we left.
Any idea of the camping situation at Jervois?

Thanks again,
John
AnswerID: 420883

Follow Up By: Member - John D, Wandong (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 12:42

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 12:42
Sorry, that's meant to be "Boulia to Gemtree"
FollowupID: 691086

Follow Up By: Graeme & Mandy - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:00

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:00
We stayed at Jervois one night in the van. It cost $10 for the night, there was no power but we could use the genie, there is usable drinking quality water taps but not setup like a van park just taps dotted around. It is getting quite cold out here and was down to -1 overnight when we were there. Near the office there is toilets, showers and a public phone which is about 200m from the camping area. Diesel at the station was $198.9/L. Other than that, there is some good shade, designated fire pits, bins, flat ground and alot of red dirt.

All in all, it is a nice spot but nothing flash.

Hope you have a great time on your trip and a safe one!!
FollowupID: 691443

Follow Up By: Member - John D, Wandong (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 19:13

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 19:13
Graeme & Mandy, thanks for the Jervois update.

Regards John
FollowupID: 691540

Reply By: destrier - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 12:42

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 12:42
Mandy- thanks very much for taking the time to post an update on the road conditions.

I'm leaving Toowoomba this Sat with my family for a Red Centre trip via the Plenty and have being trying to get as much info as I can but it is a little hard to come by.

Would you say that you could have got along a little quicker without the van?

Certainly not as good as from someone who has just been on it! Any must see events along the Plenty? We will also be going from an overnight at Boulia, 1 night at Jervois and then a night at Gemtree.

Cheers again,

Daniel
AnswerID: 421043

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 15:56

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 15:56
Just did the Plenty from Alice to Boulia 25th May . Stopped at Jervis for fuel.

The road was fine, some road works and it gets a little narrower at the QLD boarder.

Watch the roadwork signs they were confusing when I went across. I ended up on the new road being built and graded and them when I realized my mistake there was no where to get off it. I eventually came across one of those multi wheel rollers, he moved over tho the right to let me past I thought, WRONG he was actually doing a U turn. I dont know who got the biggest fright me or him. Anyway he told me where I should be in no uncertain terms.

Whole trip from Alice to Boulia took 9hrs towing a camper van with 1HZ Toyota HJ80.

Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers
Wayne

FollowupID: 691308

Follow Up By: Graeme & Mandy - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:05

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:05
I think you could definately had gone faster without a van and we saw alot of people going alot faster with camper trailers. We just wanted to baby our van a bit as we weren't in a hurry and didn't know what the van was cabable of yet. We also have a 3 year old who decided he didn't like the bumpy bits so that slowed us down as well.

Take care on your tirp

Regards
Mandy
FollowupID: 691444

Sponsored Links